Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mumbai, my Bombay

Bombay has always been Mumbai for me; I never had a conflict of calling it Bombay or Mumbai. Perhaps Bombay reminds me of the British influence that made it ‘Bombay’-South Mumbai architecture, trains, Gateway of India, etc. Not that I don’t like these, mind you, if South Mumbai was a food item, I could have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I can’t be thankful enough for my college being in an area I so love. At the same time, it makes me uncomfortable, to not see Mumbai in its totality-including the suburbs, the koliwadas, the beauty of the Marathiness of Dadar, the new developments in areas like Bandra Kurla Complex and Powai, and the history of the city before the Brits made it ‘Bombay’. After all, these are the things made by us.


Maybe I prefer calling the city Mumbai since I am a Maharashtrian. Would Parisians call Paris the way we call it? Would the Germans call Munich the same? Palestine? Mumbai, for me, retains my roots, my Maharashtrianess.


I, having been fortunate enough to study the history of Shivaji Maharaj, don’t have a problem with naming landmarks his name. I am proud of my history. Why do I call a station by some Brit Queen of the 1800s, who exploited colonies, which incidentally, includes my country? What’s wrong with calling it instead by the name of someone who resisted the Mughal invasion of this very region commendably? Those who complain of the complicated pronunciations and long name of ‘Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj’ , Franz Josef Strauss’  is the name of the airport in Munich, ‘Charles De Gaulles’ is of Paris and of course, ‘John F. Kennedy’ of New York. It is probably our more Anglicised exposure as compared to our own language, that makes it easier for us to pronounce and remember the others better. Those who still want to be critical should be excused to call it as they please. Their choice  should be respected.

 


It is a wonder, how infrequently I speak Marathi once I step out of home. Thankfully I get my enough dose at home, where it is the only language spoken, however my level of fluency in it may be. How many of us learn an extra foreign language, but have never attempted to learn Marathi in spite of calling Mumbai our home? Because it is not exotic enough? I have never gone out of my way and explored the rich culture my language provides; never made an attempt to read Marathi newspapers which might have something different to say. Shame on me!


Mumbai is a cosmopolitan city, yes. It is secular, yes. It is welcoming, yes. But let us not ignore the roots.

10 comments:

  1. Should have braced myself before I visited. shoulda known it would be a pink template. :O

    We take our mother tongue for granted, yes. Familiarity steals the exoticism. :P

    There, your First comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogger world and for some interesting insight on Bombay!
    You have a point about VT being called CST and I'm probably one of those people who have wondered why the name has to be so convoluted but honestly, I just didn't know much about him and I should/will make an effort to change that. That's one of the reasons I wish I had studied in India, like India-India (you've been to Hebron so you know what I mean) - so I could have learned a little bit about Indian history and also learning to read, write and speak fluently in at least ONE Indian language. But I guess it's still not too late.
    Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys!

    Don't worry Sharan, it's actually not going to be too pink. It'll keep changing over the course of time with newer experiments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I guess I'll always call it VT, because of the history associated with it. The reason as to why the name was changed is what annoyed me. Bombay-Mumbai-my city. You tell the bus conductors you want to go to Hutatma chowk and they blink at you. You have to say Churchgater :)

    Well-written, Sonu. A delicious mix of balance and emotion. Just like you :)

    @ Sharan:

    It is NOT too pink!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sharan, that means a lot to me, coming from you.
    Well, talking about people in Mumbai is another issue completely!especially public service workers.what was the reason for the name to be changed?
    Can anyone help me as to why those 5 lines are in black and not in pink?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sonu!

    Really love the blog.. I've never read a coffee and raspberry blog before :)

    It'll always be VT for me. I agree on the history point, but what made VT was the British rule and not Shivaji, we have to face that. Sure, the British had no noble intentions in mind, but the architecture, the rail network came from them. Also, I feel that the reasons behind renaming the places was not historical nostalgia but political gain. For me, there are quite a lot of other historical figures who could have airports, stations and roads named after them. I felt like some people were treating our city's landmarks like a competition for publicity and show. America was basically a British colony, so the colonisers naturally named the places there after British places - New York, New Jersey, etc. After they got independence they didn't go back to renaming them what they were pre-independence, because now these places had a culture, a history, a life built around these very names. You could respect and commemorate someone you admire by doing something noble in their name, like opening (and maintaining) hospitals, orphanages, old age homes, instead of erecting statues and renaming places like they were your personal property. I'm sorry if all this sounds a bit forceful, but the Bombay-Mumbai thing is something that just gets to me. This was a pretty interesting post!

    Sharan's right.. the writing is so you.. keep rolling! Looking forward to more mocha :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sonu, have you changed the font colour IN your post to pink? If not, just highlight that para and make it pink. Like, in the post. Sometimes, blogger acts like a child. So primitive, ew :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Vini!
    I feel overwhelmed!:)

    To each his own,I guess.The relationship between a place and its people is so subjective,anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey my ' my cup of rasberry mocha' (venn nice name)u have finally blogged!!!
    About your post, i kind of agree with Vini, in fact a bit with everyone. If the intentions about making any changes to the city were neat then i wonder who would have an issue, but unfortunately tht's not the case always.
    By the way this is my first comment on a blogspot!!! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jo, I'm non-veg too. How come you never comment on MY blog! :P :P :P

    ReplyDelete